2/28/09

......and more throttle..........

.......... and it still won't be completed. The throttle is mounted on the handlebar but what to do with that cable? I made a "fairing" of sorts for the cabel to exit. I can see me at the first show I take it to. It looks wobbly so a guy tries to help and grabs the bars breaking this little piece off! It's held on by two countersunk 6-32 screws that I turned down from electrical plate screws. I always hated those things, always had a surplus, and saw them as useless for anything else so threw most away. I just didn't want the cable coming out through a rough hole. I don't know if I like it at all. I might, if fact I'm pretty sure, go with something simpler and smaller like a little sheet metal fairing. The cable housing is from vintage bicycle brake cable. A quick slice down the side with a knife and the colored coating comes right off. Of course there isn't much protection from grime but this won't see much road use. I needed to build a standoff or two to keep the cable attached to but not rubbing on the painted frame. I could tape it up as many original photos show. Tape is quickly removed and replaced in a race setting and firmly holds the cable but why not waste an evening?! An easy solution would be the zip tie and fuel line standoff. That works great but isn't something seen on a BTR........ at least not on this one. I knew there was nothing out there to meet my exact needs (what's new?!) so I'll make my own. Taking the idea from vintage bicycle cable clamps, I made the clamps from 18g steel strips 1/4" wide formed over a piece of 1 1/8" tubing then drilled and tapped to accept one of the 6-32 modded screws mentioned above. I made one with an extra looped piece to hold the cable housing. Works perfectly and the cable housing is nice and tight. Securing the cable housing well - especially at the carb - will keep the motor from revving when the handlebars are turned. Here's how it looks on the frame.