1/28/07

"Mockup of the frame"

The modified notcher is making great fishmouths now. Perfect angles are another story. I bought some larger size end mills in case I needed to touch up a few cuts but it may not be worth the extra time - they are pretty close. A friend asked today if I was going to braze it. Well, the notches aren't that perfect. I have considered making a tube holder for the cross slide of the lathe that would allow more precise notches but, again, I'd like to see how close this comedy of errors will be fitting basically by hand. Even modern frames are straightened at the factory after brazing so it should be fun trying to straighten this .120 tubing once welded! If I decide to make additional models I will have to build a jig and revisit the notching method. Anyway, here are a few pics of the main tubes. The top tube is missing as it has to be bent. A friend has "committed" to buying a bender soon so ......... he can use my stuff if I can use his right?(you know who you are - hint, hint) I didn't hit my lines well before the pic but everything is pretty close. The angles are what concern me the most. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting You can immediately see the gap where I will build plates to replicate the "Marion" frame under the engine. On the Indian and HD, the engine, after about 1915, was a stressed member on most racing models. These plates will carry the motor and then be mounted to bungs on the down tube and seat stay tube - same principle. Putting the earlier-style bend in the frame would leave little room for adjustment - something very much needed in this mock up.